New Milton Evangelical Free Church
Tony Bennett is our Safeguarding Coordinator
He oversees the training of all who work with children and adults in the church context, ensuring they have the relevant DBS checks and safeguarding training.
Tony is the first person to speak to if you have any safeguarding concerns or questions.
The church's safeguarding responsibilities
The church recognises its responsibility for the safeguarding of all children under the age of 18 as set out in the relevant legislation and guidance, including:
- Children Act (1989 and 2004)
- Safe from Harm (1994)
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Group Act (2006)
- Charity Commission Guidance (2017)
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (2018)
We also recognise our responsibility to safeguard vulnerable adults. We commit ourselves to constantly working to be a safer church, reviewing and improving the way we do things.
As members of this church we commit ourselves to the nurturing, protection and safeguarding of all children and young people associated with the church and will pray for this regularly.
In pursuit of this we commit ourselves to developing and following safeguarding policies and procedures and to ensure they are implemented. To this end, the church will promote
- A safe response to concerns and reporting of possible abuse
- Safe recruitment, support and supervision of all church workers
- Safe behaviour that will ensure that all children and young people are shown the respect that is due to them
- A safe environment for all church activities
- A safe community which prevents bullying of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
The church as a whole is reminded annually of our safeguarding policy and responsibilities before one of the Sunday morning services – designated Safeguarding Sunday.
The church's safeguarding team
- Dr Tony Bennett: Safeguarding Coordinator
- Mrs Catherine Simpkins: Deputy Safeguarding Coordinator.